sunnuntai 2. marraskuuta 2014

WARNING: OsX Yosemite patch might brick your macbook! / Updated with a fix

Ouch!
Okay. A quick warning to all you mac people! As the title states the new Yosemite patch might break your mac! I have already had several customers call and let me know that their mac is stuck updating OsX to he latest release of Yosemite.


In this article the issue is being discussed a bit more in detail.
Here is a small list of things to try out. These did not work with my clients but maybe they might help you!

  1. WAIT. Yes wait. In some cases it has been reported in internet that albeit slow, the update is actually happening. So being patient might be the best first choice.
  2. Press command + L to bring up the Install log. If the log  is moving. WAIT. Although desperately slow, it's still updating and not stuck as the progress bar might let you think.

  3. Safe boot. If the update has not finished after several hours (one of my customers let his Macbook sit at their office for 48h and the update was still stuck at halfway.)
    Reboot the machine and press down Shift-key. This should boot your computer in safe-mode. It might take time, so sit tight.. On one of the machines I was given to fix, it just kept booting straight back to the update screen. I was getting ready to re-install the machine when it suddenly popped in the login screen. So make sure to wait at least 30 minutes to give the machine time to reboot in safe-mode!
  4. Network repair. Press Command + R when rebooting. This will launch mac's online repair tool. Try it out.
  5. Re-install. Unfortunately this might be the only thing you can do. If the machine doesn't respond to any of the give commands your only way is to re-install from the dvd given with the machine. Insert it to the DVD-drive and boot while pressind letted C down.
I hope one of these helped someone.

UPDATE:

Okay!  I just finished one Macbook that was stuck in the loading screen with the Apple logo after Yosemite update. I used the command + r method. It took a couple of minutes of pressing and holding command + r but finally the diagnostics menu popped up. In there I simply turned WiFi off (yours might not be on so don't worry if its not on) and chose restart from upper left corner of the screen. After this the computer booted normally and loaded up to the system! Hope this helps!


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti